BJP demands President`s rule in Manipur
Imphal: The Manipur unit of BJP has demanded
immediate imposition of President`s rule in the state in view
of deteriorating law and order situation and serious problems
arising out of continuous economic blockades on two national
highways in the state by some local organisations.
In a memorandum submitted to Governor Gurbachan Jagat
here yesterday, BJP pointed various problems including
killings of drivers and burning of loaded trucks by blockade
supporters, a BJP spokesman told mediapersons today.
He said tension was running high particularly in Senapati
district among various communities because of demand for
conversion of Sadar Hills area into a full-fledged district.
The spokesman said more than 300 loaded trucks were
stranded at various places outside the state, adding that
militants who had signed ceasefire agreement with authorities
were also involved in various crimes along the national
He said the memorandum had urged the Governor to look
into the issues confronting the state and wanted immediate
imposition of President`s rule to prevent further
deterioration of the situation.
While Sadar Hills District Demand Committee launched an
indefinite economic blockade on NH 39 Imphal-Dimapur-Guwahati
and NH 53 Imphal-Jiribam-Silchar from August 1 to press their
demand for conversion of Sadar Hills into a full-fledged
revenue district, United Naga Council has also launched a
counter economic blockade from mid-August.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA