BJP demands President`s rule in Manipur
Imphal: The Manipur unit of BJP has demanded
immediate imposition of President`s rule in the state in view
of deteriorating law and order situation and serious problems
arising out of continuous economic blockades on two national
highways in the state by some local organisations.
In a memorandum submitted to Governor Gurbachan Jagat
here yesterday, BJP pointed various problems including
killings of drivers and burning of loaded trucks by blockade
supporters, a BJP spokesman told mediapersons today.
He said tension was running high particularly in Senapati
district among various communities because of demand for
conversion of Sadar Hills area into a full-fledged district.
The spokesman said more than 300 loaded trucks were
stranded at various places outside the state, adding that
militants who had signed ceasefire agreement with authorities
were also involved in various crimes along the national
He said the memorandum had urged the Governor to look
into the issues confronting the state and wanted immediate
imposition of President`s rule to prevent further
deterioration of the situation.
While Sadar Hills District Demand Committee launched an
indefinite economic blockade on NH 39 Imphal-Dimapur-Guwahati
and NH 53 Imphal-Jiribam-Silchar from August 1 to press their
demand for conversion of Sadar Hills into a full-fledged
revenue district, United Naga Council has also launched a
counter economic blockade from mid-August.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Jhansi's ammunition factory was target of ISI agents
- Panel discussion on film director Ali Akbar's accusation on Madrasa
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory