BJP demands President`s rule in Manipur
Imphal: The Manipur unit of BJP has demanded
immediate imposition of President`s rule in the state in view
of deteriorating law and order situation and serious problems
arising out of continuous economic blockades on two national
highways in the state by some local organisations.
In a memorandum submitted to Governor Gurbachan Jagat
here yesterday, BJP pointed various problems including
killings of drivers and burning of loaded trucks by blockade
supporters, a BJP spokesman told mediapersons today.
He said tension was running high particularly in Senapati
district among various communities because of demand for
conversion of Sadar Hills area into a full-fledged district.
The spokesman said more than 300 loaded trucks were
stranded at various places outside the state, adding that
militants who had signed ceasefire agreement with authorities
were also involved in various crimes along the national
He said the memorandum had urged the Governor to look
into the issues confronting the state and wanted immediate
imposition of President`s rule to prevent further
deterioration of the situation.
While Sadar Hills District Demand Committee launched an
indefinite economic blockade on NH 39 Imphal-Dimapur-Guwahati
and NH 53 Imphal-Jiribam-Silchar from August 1 to press their
demand for conversion of Sadar Hills into a full-fledged
revenue district, United Naga Council has also launched a
counter economic blockade from mid-August.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi