BJP following politics of anger, Gujarat model not needed: Rahul Gandhi
Sonitpur: Rahul Gandhi on Thursday accused BJP of unleashing the "politics of anger" before elections by pitting Hindus against Muslims and the rich against poor and said the `Gujarat model` cannot be imposed on the country.
Terming as "marketing exercise" media reports of a likely BJP victory in the polls, Gandhi said this balloon floated by BJP will burst when votes are counted as it did in 2004 and 2009 when Congress had been written off by pollsters.
"BJP`s politics is about two things. First, pit Hindus against Muslims, the rich against the poor and people of Maharashtra against those from UP. Just before the elections, riots started in UP.
"Second, they fail to see the pain of the poor. So they talk of things like `India Shining` which I will never because I meet you everyday and understand your suffering," he told a public meeting.
India Shining was the campaign theme of the then NDA government in 2004 elections in which it was roundly defeated.
Congress, he said, believed in politics of love and empowerment of the poor.
It is the poor who will burst the BJP`s marketing balloon this time too, he said.
He also took on BJP`s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi over his claims that Gujarat feeds milk to the entire country, saying the state has had big dairy produce since 1950s and he deserves no credit for it.
BJP, he said, believed that one Gujarat model can be replicated across the country but it was not so and added that different states need their own models specific to their needs.
"Assam does not need Gujarat model. It needs Assam model... BJP think one ideology can run the entire country but the truth is that this country is not made of one thought or ideology but of thousands and lakhs of thoughts," he said.
Congress, he said, would focus on the needs of 70 cr Indians, who are presently below the middle class level, and work for their development and prosperity.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read