BJP hopes for more Lok Sabha seats from Northeast
Agartala: A senior BJP leader said here on Thursday said that the country`s Northeastern states would contribute more seats to the party`s kitty in the Lok Sabha elections.
"In the coming Lok Sabha elections the BJP (Bharatiya Janata Party) would increase its seats and do better in all Northeastern states," party`s national vice president SS Ahluwalia told a news agency.
The party has four Lok Sabha members in Assam and no elected representatives in most of the other states of the region.
Ahluwalia accompanied by party leader Vijay Jolly arrived in Agartala Friday to supervise the preparations for Feb 22 public rally to be addressed by the party`s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi.
Formally launching his election campaign in Northeast region, Modi addressed rallies in Assam and Manipur Feb 8.
Ahluwalia said that after assuming office, the BJP-led government would work for allround development of the Northeast.
He said due to the Congress government`s wrong policies, the region remained backward despite (the region) having huge untapped resources.
Meanwhile, Trinamool`s Tripura committee chairman Ratan Chakraborty told reporters that West Bengal Chief Minister and party supremo Mamata Banerjee would address a rally here Feb 25.
Both the BJP and Trinamool have no elected leaders in the local government bodies or in the state assembly in Left Front-ruled Tripura.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Lalitgate: Centre denies deal with Congress over Sushma Swaraj, Vasundhara Raje
- Lalitgate: BJP helping fugitives, law breakers; PM Modi doing 'Maun Yoga', alleges Congress