BJP to field candidate for RS poll in Arunachal
Itanagar: The BJP in Arunachal Pradesh has decided to field candidate for the ensuing Rajya Sabha election scheduled on June 19 next.
The polling for the state?s lone Rajya Sabha seat, fell vacant following the expiry of the term of office of incumbent MP Mukut Mithi on May 26 last.
"Despite knowing the fact that we don`t have sufficient representation in the state Assembly yet we have decided to field our candidate for the Rajya Sabha seat.
We will fight the elections in true spirit of democracy,? newly elected BJP Legislature Party leader Tamiyo Taga said.
When asked who will be the party?s official nominee for the post, he said the party`s central parliamentary board would decide about it.
The BJP has 11 legislators in the 60-member Assembly while its ally People?s Party of Arunachal (PPA) has five MLAs.
While the notification for RS polls was issued today, the last date of filing nominations would be June 9 and scrutiny of papers would be done on June 10.
The last date for withdrawal of candidature is June 12 and counting of votes would take place on the day of polling, June 19, itself.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing