BJP urges Northeast to `earn freedom` from Congress
Shillong: The BJP Thursday appealed to voters in poll-bound Meghalaya to `earn freedom` from the Congress ruling Meghalaya and the majority of the North Eastern states for years saying that very little benefit had percolated down to the masses.
"We need to earn freedom from this Congress politics," Leader of Opposition in the Rajya Sabha, Arun Jaitley, told people an election rally here in the state capital.
"Let the Congress be defeated in all states in the North East and Meghalaya should show the way by supporting BJP candidates so that a corruption-free government can be established under a NDA government," Jaitley said.
He said when there was no ministry for NE, the NDA gave a separate one to it to look after its welfare and development devoting 10 per cent of all central schemes. "This is our track record."
Stating that the social indices in Meghalaya were high and that the nature?s beauty was at its best, Jaitley wondered why the tourism industry did not pick up in the state to improve the people’s livelihood.
"There is oil, natural and mineral resources besides nature. These, if rightly utilized, could bring in prosperity which would in turn bring in peace," he said.
Regretting that the NDA-initiated East West corridor connecting Gujarat and the NE was stagnant, the BJP leader said, "everywhere the highway has been completed except in the NE."
Stating that the 2G scam cost the country Rs 170,000 crore, he said, "If 10 per cent of that money was spent on NE, connectivity would have increased over a 100 times."
On influx Jaitley said "The Congress has encouraged immigration in the country especially in the North East. Illegal immigration impacts demography, culture and language that hold people?s identity. The BJP will sternly tackle this issue."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- Being obese can cause 13 types of cancer, say scientists
- All you want to know about Krishna Janmashtami: Muhurat, puja vidhi and timings!
- Tillakaratne Dilshan to retire from international cricket after 3rd ODI, two T20Is against Australia
- Stand by what I said about RSS, will never stop fighting its hateful agenda: Rahul Gandhi
- Mercedes to have petrol option for all models in India by September