BJP urges Northeast to `earn freedom` from Congress
Shillong: The BJP Thursday appealed to voters in poll-bound Meghalaya to `earn freedom` from the Congress ruling Meghalaya and the majority of the North Eastern states for years saying that very little benefit had percolated down to the masses.
"We need to earn freedom from this Congress politics," Leader of Opposition in the Rajya Sabha, Arun Jaitley, told people an election rally here in the state capital.
"Let the Congress be defeated in all states in the North East and Meghalaya should show the way by supporting BJP candidates so that a corruption-free government can be established under a NDA government," Jaitley said.
He said when there was no ministry for NE, the NDA gave a separate one to it to look after its welfare and development devoting 10 per cent of all central schemes. "This is our track record."
Stating that the social indices in Meghalaya were high and that the nature?s beauty was at its best, Jaitley wondered why the tourism industry did not pick up in the state to improve the people’s livelihood.
"There is oil, natural and mineral resources besides nature. These, if rightly utilized, could bring in prosperity which would in turn bring in peace," he said.
Regretting that the NDA-initiated East West corridor connecting Gujarat and the NE was stagnant, the BJP leader said, "everywhere the highway has been completed except in the NE."
Stating that the 2G scam cost the country Rs 170,000 crore, he said, "If 10 per cent of that money was spent on NE, connectivity would have increased over a 100 times."
On influx Jaitley said "The Congress has encouraged immigration in the country especially in the North East. Illegal immigration impacts demography, culture and language that hold people?s identity. The BJP will sternly tackle this issue."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- GHMC election results: TRS scores landslide win; TDP-BJP wiped out
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...