BJP will accord top priority to North East, says Rajnath
Guwahati: Accusing the Congress of treating the Northeast with a step-motherly attitude, BJP president Rajnath Singh on Thursday said his party will accord top priority to the region if the party is voted to power in the upcoming Lok Sabha elections.
Progress and development of the N-E region has always been a priority for the BJP and it will continue to remain on the top of its agenda, Singh told reporters here.
"The Congress has a step-motherly attitude towards the North East. But for the BJP the NE is a priority and was even when it was in power (as NDA). Our blueprint for the continued development of the region is still there," Singh said.
Pointing to the `fast changing demographic character` of the region, Singh said the BJP if voted to power will take steps to protect the identity of the indigenous people and work for inclusive growth.
The BJP chief claimed, "the sense of insecurity in the region will be replaced with a secure atmosphere by the BJP if we come to power".
Singh alleged that the crises have deepened during UPA?s tenures and the government has proved to be a "failure in all fronts -- economic, security or diplomatic due to wrong policies and planning and corruption."
Stating the BJP`s vision document will have a separate chapter for NE, he said important issues of the region that are to be included in the election manifesto were discussed during his two-day meeting with the senior party leaders in the NE here .
For the region`s accelerated growth, Singh demanded that all Central funds for the Department of North Eastern Region (DoNER) be in the non-lapsable category.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’