BJP will accord top priority to North East, says Rajnath
Guwahati: Accusing the Congress of treating the Northeast with a step-motherly attitude, BJP president Rajnath Singh on Thursday said his party will accord top priority to the region if the party is voted to power in the upcoming Lok Sabha elections.
Progress and development of the N-E region has always been a priority for the BJP and it will continue to remain on the top of its agenda, Singh told reporters here.
"The Congress has a step-motherly attitude towards the North East. But for the BJP the NE is a priority and was even when it was in power (as NDA). Our blueprint for the continued development of the region is still there," Singh said.
Pointing to the `fast changing demographic character` of the region, Singh said the BJP if voted to power will take steps to protect the identity of the indigenous people and work for inclusive growth.
The BJP chief claimed, "the sense of insecurity in the region will be replaced with a secure atmosphere by the BJP if we come to power".
Singh alleged that the crises have deepened during UPA?s tenures and the government has proved to be a "failure in all fronts -- economic, security or diplomatic due to wrong policies and planning and corruption."
Stating the BJP`s vision document will have a separate chapter for NE, he said important issues of the region that are to be included in the election manifesto were discussed during his two-day meeting with the senior party leaders in the NE here .
For the region`s accelerated growth, Singh demanded that all Central funds for the Department of North Eastern Region (DoNER) be in the non-lapsable category.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Really? Katrina Kaif rebuffs breaking up with Ranbir Kapoor?
- ISI plotted 26/11 Mumbai attacks with Pakistan govt's support, says David Headley