BJP will accord top priority to North East, says Rajnath
Guwahati: Accusing the Congress of treating the Northeast with a step-motherly attitude, BJP president Rajnath Singh on Thursday said his party will accord top priority to the region if the party is voted to power in the upcoming Lok Sabha elections.
Progress and development of the N-E region has always been a priority for the BJP and it will continue to remain on the top of its agenda, Singh told reporters here.
"The Congress has a step-motherly attitude towards the North East. But for the BJP the NE is a priority and was even when it was in power (as NDA). Our blueprint for the continued development of the region is still there," Singh said.
Pointing to the `fast changing demographic character` of the region, Singh said the BJP if voted to power will take steps to protect the identity of the indigenous people and work for inclusive growth.
The BJP chief claimed, "the sense of insecurity in the region will be replaced with a secure atmosphere by the BJP if we come to power".
Singh alleged that the crises have deepened during UPA?s tenures and the government has proved to be a "failure in all fronts -- economic, security or diplomatic due to wrong policies and planning and corruption."
Stating the BJP`s vision document will have a separate chapter for NE, he said important issues of the region that are to be included in the election manifesto were discussed during his two-day meeting with the senior party leaders in the NE here .
For the region`s accelerated growth, Singh demanded that all Central funds for the Department of North Eastern Region (DoNER) be in the non-lapsable category.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part IV
- PM Modi addresses the nation in 20th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat'
- PM Modi addresses the nation in 20th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat' Part II
- Handsomeness! Randeep Hooda and Dino Morea party looking debonair-- See pics
- PM Modi calls for protection of environment on 'Mann Ki Baat'
- At least 13 dead in Vietnam bus smash
- Sonakshi Sinha does not believe in gender discrimination!
- SALUTE! This boy from UP's Mainpuri has no arms but secured 71.8% in 10th board exams - WATCH interview