Black Widow surrenders weapons in Assam
Guwahati: Over 170 guerillas of the Dima Halam Daogah (Jewel) (DHDJ) or Black Widow have commenced surrendering their weapons from Wednesday.
Earlier on Sunday, nearly 193 rebels of the DHDJ had surrendered their weapons well ahead of the deadline given by Union Home Minister P Chidambaram.
Chidambaram had asked the banned ultras to surrender weapons before September 15.
The DHD (J) is responsible for creating terror in the North Cachar Hill District of Assam for last six years, during which over 300 people have been killed.
Among those who surrendered arms were Daniel Dimasa, Daku Dimasa, David Dimasa and Nalo Dimasa who were considered as hardcore militants.
According to the new rules for facilitating peace talks with the militant organization, an outfit has to first abjure violence by depositing weapons and stay away from extortion by moving to designated camps. Only its top leadership will be allowed to sit for talks.
Defence spokesman, Col R Kalia, said those who have deposited weapons have been kept in two temporary camps at Kapuchera and Jatinga under heavy escort by troops of the Red Shield Division of the Army.
A formal surrender ceremony would be held at Haflong later in the month in the presence of the State Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi, sources said.
The breakaway group of the DHD (J) led by James Dimasa are still undecided on joining the peace process.
According to Additional Director General (Special Branch) Khagen Sarmah, all the cadres of the outfit are expected to surrender their weapons in the next couple of days.
The government has adopted a multi-dimensional strategy in North Cachar Hills with strong deployment of security forces. The brigade headquarters of the Army at Haflong has coordinating all the efforts.
Till now 373 insurgents have come over-ground depositing 136 weapons including AK series weapons, M16 rifles, INSAS rifles, rocket launchers, grenades and wireless sets, sources said. (ANI)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash