Boat tragedy: Search operations still on in Dhubri
Guwahati/Dhubri: Search operations in Assam`s boat tragedy at Dhubri continued for the eighth day today with the Army, NDRF and BSF trying to trace of victims.
Police said no bodies were found either yesterday or today.
Bodies of 38 victims have been recovered, according to official figures.
The state government has said there were 205 persons who had booked their tickets in the ill-fated ferry from Medertary while only 42 victims have been registered as officially missing.
Government spokesman Rockybul Hussain said yesterday that the exact number of passengers feared dead could not be officially declared as long as the relatives of those missing do not register their names with the district administration.
Meanwhile, to stop the practice of plying of overloaded ferries on the Brahmaputra, the state transport department has instructed district transport officers and enforcement staff to take strict action and impose fines as per the Motor Vehicles Act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- PM Narendra Modi's gift on Maha Shivaratari: A 112-foot face of Lord Shiva - Read details