Boat tragedy: Search operations still on in Dhubri
Guwahati/Dhubri: Search operations in Assam`s boat tragedy at Dhubri continued for the eighth day today with the Army, NDRF and BSF trying to trace of victims.
Police said no bodies were found either yesterday or today.
Bodies of 38 victims have been recovered, according to official figures.
The state government has said there were 205 persons who had booked their tickets in the ill-fated ferry from Medertary while only 42 victims have been registered as officially missing.
Government spokesman Rockybul Hussain said yesterday that the exact number of passengers feared dead could not be officially declared as long as the relatives of those missing do not register their names with the district administration.
Meanwhile, to stop the practice of plying of overloaded ferries on the Brahmaputra, the state transport department has instructed district transport officers and enforcement staff to take strict action and impose fines as per the Motor Vehicles Act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!