Bomb blast in Imphal; 1 dead, 1 injured
Imphal: A powerful Improvised Explosive Device (IED) went off at the Airport Road in Manipur`s capital Imphal on Monday evening, killing one and hurting one more.
Initial reports suggest that the blast took place along the Airport Road near Imphal College.
The bomb had been planted in a garbage dump, reports added.
This is the second blast to have taken place along the airport road in the last 15 days.
Earlier, another powerful IED, suspected to have been planted by militants, was recovered from a road in interior Thoubal district of Manipur by para-miltary forces, official sources said.
A boy playing in the area detected a suspicious object, weighing more than 3.5kg, and informed others who reported the matter to the nearby Assam Rifles personnel of 28th battalion post at Tairen Makhong.
The IED was later defused by experts. A remote-controlled device was also fixed with the explosive which was planted by suspected militants to attack security personnel passing through the area, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened