`Border fencing top priority of Meghalaya govt`
Shillong: Meghalaya government has prioritised completion of border fencing along the Indo-Bangladesh Border, Governor RS Mooshahary said on Friday.
"The 443 km International border poses its own problems in
terms of influx, smuggling and easy transit routes to the
militant groups of the region (North East India)," Mooshahary
said while addressing the Budget Session of the Assembly.
He said, "expeditious completion of the border fencing is
therefore a priority for the government."
The state government has also taken up with the Centre to
intensify patrolling along the border, where human habitation
and settlements are located near the border, to erect the
fence at zero-line, the Governor said.
Mooshahary has also lamented the need of keeping a `close
watch` along the inter-state border with Assam in view of the
ethnic clashes last year.
Taking note of the spurt of terror activities of the Garo
Hills-based Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA) in Garo Hills
region and in pockets of West Khasi Hills district, the
Governor said, "the state police and Central agencies are
taking all steps to effectively counter anti-national and
Basing reports on how the state machineries are in control
during important celebrations in the state including cultural
festivals, Mooshahary said, "internal security and law and
order situation has remained stable... There are no critical
issues (as such)."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- 1st Test, Day 1: Virat Kohli's brilliant ton puts India on top against West Indies
- Donald Trump accepts Republican nomination, accuses Hillary Clinton of legacy of "death, destruction, terrorism”
- Former Portugal prime minister Guterres front runner to be next UN chief
- Asian markets sink as stimulus hopes rolled back
- Lodha panel report: CAB cancels AGM after SC's verdict