`Border fencing top priority of Meghalaya govt`
Shillong: Meghalaya government has prioritised completion of border fencing along the Indo-Bangladesh Border, Governor RS Mooshahary said on Friday.
"The 443 km International border poses its own problems in
terms of influx, smuggling and easy transit routes to the
militant groups of the region (North East India)," Mooshahary
said while addressing the Budget Session of the Assembly.
He said, "expeditious completion of the border fencing is
therefore a priority for the government."
The state government has also taken up with the Centre to
intensify patrolling along the border, where human habitation
and settlements are located near the border, to erect the
fence at zero-line, the Governor said.
Mooshahary has also lamented the need of keeping a `close
watch` along the inter-state border with Assam in view of the
ethnic clashes last year.
Taking note of the spurt of terror activities of the Garo
Hills-based Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA) in Garo Hills
region and in pockets of West Khasi Hills district, the
Governor said, "the state police and Central agencies are
taking all steps to effectively counter anti-national and
Basing reports on how the state machineries are in control
during important celebrations in the state including cultural
festivals, Mooshahary said, "internal security and law and
order situation has remained stable... There are no critical
issues (as such)."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'