Border trade through Pangsau Pass to begin soon
Itanagar: Border trade through Pangsau Pass along the Indo-Myanmar border in Arunachal Pradesh would be made operational soon, Union Minister of State for Trade and Commerce and Industries E M S Natchiappan has said.
During his two-day visit to Nampong and Jairampur in Changlang district on Saturday along with Union minister of state for Minority Affairs Ninong Ering, he said the Centre was committed to start border trade through this historical route at the earliest, official sources said today.
Promising Centre`s full support to develop Nampong as an important international trading hub and "India’s gateway to ASEAN", he suggested the state government organise an investors meet at Nampong to capitalise on its trading potential.
Ering said that Arunachal Pradesh could transform the economy of the northeast region if Indo-Myanmar trade was opened through Pangsau Pass and India-China trade potential was explored through Kibithoo in Anjaw, Gelling in Upper Siang and Taksing in Upper Subansiri.
These trading routes were very well connected and all-weather high volume trade could be carried on through them, he said.
The ministers along with Arunachal Pradesh Agriculture and Horticulture Minister Setong Sena visited the market area of Pangsau Pass to assess the available infrastructure.
They also interacted with a delegation of Myanmarese officials and traders and discussed trade readiness through this route.
Stressing on the need to open this trade route early to
bring the Look East Policy into motion, Sena urged upon the two Central Ministers to make Arunachal Pradesh a member of the high level committee on promotion of trade and commerce between India and Myanmar.
Changlang deputy commissioner Chanchal Yadav highlighted the need to set up a border haat at Zero Line, appointing a land customs staff and including more items in the list of permissible items to be traded through the border route.
She also suggested a special policy on capacity building for the locals, so that they could utilise the international trading opportunity.
The Centre had approved opening up of a border haat at Pangsau Pass along the Indo-Myanmar border in March this year to boost border trade with South East Asia in tune with its `Look East Policy`.
Chief Minister Nabam Tuki had last year written to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh urging opening up of border trade on few specific points along the border that Arunachal Pradesh shares with neighbouring countries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India