Bridge collapse: Administration orders probe
Shillong: Meghalaya has ordered a
magisterial enquiry into collapse of a foot bridge in remote
East Garo Hills district which resulted in injuries to 35
persons including an American couple.
"An Extra Additional Commissioner P D Sangma has been
entrusted with probing into the collapse of the particular
bridge," District Deputy Commissioner Vijay Mantri told
The district administrator has also decided to ask the
Public Works Department to survey all such bridges in the
district constructed by private parties and assess their
safety standards to avoid recurrence of such incidents in
The American couple, Marisa Staten and her husband
Verbor Staten, were missionaries and were crossing the bridge
over Didram river on Sunday morning when the bridge suddenly
While Marisa sustained injuries on her back, her
husband received minor injuries, official sources said.
The American citizen and 35 others who sustained
injuries were out of danger and many of them were released
from the hospital in neighbouring Assam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'