Bridge collapse: Administration orders probe
Shillong: Meghalaya has ordered a
magisterial enquiry into collapse of a foot bridge in remote
East Garo Hills district which resulted in injuries to 35
persons including an American couple.
"An Extra Additional Commissioner P D Sangma has been
entrusted with probing into the collapse of the particular
bridge," District Deputy Commissioner Vijay Mantri told
The district administrator has also decided to ask the
Public Works Department to survey all such bridges in the
district constructed by private parties and assess their
safety standards to avoid recurrence of such incidents in
The American couple, Marisa Staten and her husband
Verbor Staten, were missionaries and were crossing the bridge
over Didram river on Sunday morning when the bridge suddenly
While Marisa sustained injuries on her back, her
husband received minor injuries, official sources said.
The American citizen and 35 others who sustained
injuries were out of danger and many of them were released
from the hospital in neighbouring Assam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read