Bridge collapse: Administration orders probe
Shillong: Meghalaya has ordered a
magisterial enquiry into collapse of a foot bridge in remote
East Garo Hills district which resulted in injuries to 35
persons including an American couple.
"An Extra Additional Commissioner P D Sangma has been
entrusted with probing into the collapse of the particular
bridge," District Deputy Commissioner Vijay Mantri told
The district administrator has also decided to ask the
Public Works Department to survey all such bridges in the
district constructed by private parties and assess their
safety standards to avoid recurrence of such incidents in
The American couple, Marisa Staten and her husband
Verbor Staten, were missionaries and were crossing the bridge
over Didram river on Sunday morning when the bridge suddenly
While Marisa sustained injuries on her back, her
husband received minor injuries, official sources said.
The American citizen and 35 others who sustained
injuries were out of danger and many of them were released
from the hospital in neighbouring Assam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video