Bridge collapse: Administration orders probe
Shillong: Meghalaya has ordered a
magisterial enquiry into collapse of a foot bridge in remote
East Garo Hills district which resulted in injuries to 35
persons including an American couple.
"An Extra Additional Commissioner P D Sangma has been
entrusted with probing into the collapse of the particular
bridge," District Deputy Commissioner Vijay Mantri told
The district administrator has also decided to ask the
Public Works Department to survey all such bridges in the
district constructed by private parties and assess their
safety standards to avoid recurrence of such incidents in
The American couple, Marisa Staten and her husband
Verbor Staten, were missionaries and were crossing the bridge
over Didram river on Sunday morning when the bridge suddenly
While Marisa sustained injuries on her back, her
husband received minor injuries, official sources said.
The American citizen and 35 others who sustained
injuries were out of danger and many of them were released
from the hospital in neighbouring Assam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt