Bring white paper on MOA: NGOs to Arunachal govt
Itanagar: Various NGOs in Arunachal Pradesh have demanded the state government to come out with a white paper on the upfront payments received after inking memorandum
of agreements (MoAs) with various power developers in recent times.
Expressing shock at the ongoing trend of signing MoAs by the government with private power developers for construction of mega dams, the NGOs also demanded an expenditure statement on the amount received to enable people to know about the fate of the money earned, according to a joint statement issued here today.
Claiming that the MoAs did not come under the CAG, the Siang Bachao Andolan (SBA), Human Right Law Network-Arunachal Unit (HRLNW-AP), Global Human Rights Organization (GHRO), Nefa Indigenous Human Rights Organization (NIHRO), Women Power Connect-AP (WPC-AP) and Arunachal Citizens Rights (ACR) in a joint statement today said, they would be `compelled to initiate vigorous judicial activism in the public interest` in case of default.
"The landowners or the to-be affected people are not informed of the proposed dams, which are going to deprive thousands of tribal villagers of their livelihoods, agricultural and horticultural fields and gardens, besides destroying virgin forests and rivers," they pointed out.
"The state government without any specific planning approach, have inked 148 such understandings and agreements, out of, which 141 were signed during the previous government and seven in Siang basin (West Siang and Upper Siang districts) by the present government since May last," the NGOs claimed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh