Brisk polling in Aizawl by-poll
Aizawl: Peaceful and brisk polling was reported from the 29 polling stations in the by-election to the Chalfilh Assembly seat in Mizoram on Saturday.
No untoward incident was reported as an electorate of over 17,000 will vote to determine the fate of seven candidates, Returning Officer for the by-poll A Biaklawma told a news agency.
He said that 13 polling stations have been identified as `sensitive`.
The polling would continue till 5 pm.
The seven candidates are Dr Ngurdingliana of the ruling Congress, Lalvenhima Hmar of the opposition Mizo National Front (MNF), Lalhmangaiha Sailo of the Mizoram People`s Conference (MPC), C. Lalchhandama of the Zoram Nationalist Party, C Ramkinlova of the BJP, DK Thanga of the Lok Janshakti Party (LJP) and lone independent R Lalrohlua.
The by-poll was necessitated after the demise of sitting legislator Chawngtinthanga of Congress on September 16 last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble