Brisk polling in Aizawl by-poll
Aizawl: Peaceful and brisk polling was reported from the 29 polling stations in the by-election to the Chalfilh Assembly seat in Mizoram on Saturday.
No untoward incident was reported as an electorate of over 17,000 will vote to determine the fate of seven candidates, Returning Officer for the by-poll A Biaklawma told a news agency.
He said that 13 polling stations have been identified as `sensitive`.
The polling would continue till 5 pm.
The seven candidates are Dr Ngurdingliana of the ruling Congress, Lalvenhima Hmar of the opposition Mizo National Front (MNF), Lalhmangaiha Sailo of the Mizoram People`s Conference (MPC), C. Lalchhandama of the Zoram Nationalist Party, C Ramkinlova of the BJP, DK Thanga of the Lok Janshakti Party (LJP) and lone independent R Lalrohlua.
The by-poll was necessitated after the demise of sitting legislator Chawngtinthanga of Congress on September 16 last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Delhi court restrains release of controversial movie 'Mohalla Assi'
- Lalitgate: Centre denies deal with Congress over Sushma Swaraj, Vasundhara Raje