Bru refugees headcount completed today
Aizawl: There are total 27,261 Bru refugees
from Mizoram in six relief camps in north Tripura district as
per a headcount completed today.
The head count exercise was undertaken as per the
instruction of the Mizoram government, which is regarded as
the first step in the effort to repatriate all Bru refugees
this year following instructions of Union Home Minister
P Chidambaram that it be completed by October end.
Mizoram Bru Displaced People’s Forum (MBDPF), which
undertook the exercise said the relief camps were located at
Kanchanpur sub-division in north Tripura district and the
refugees were classified into two groups - those who migrated
en masse in 1997 and those in 2009.
Elvis Chorkhy, MBDPF president said over phone Brus
who fled Mizoram in the wake of communal tension triggered by
the murder of a forest guard inside Dampa Tiger Reserve in
October 1997 by erstwhile Bru National Liberation Front (BNLF)
militants were 26,102 in number, including 5,090 minors and
belonging to 5,180 families.
Those who left Mizoram in November 2009 after a similar
incident at Bungthuam village, three days before the proposed
repatriation schedule for the refugees, were 1,159 people
including 242 minors and belonging to 241 families.
Around 240 families who fled Mizoram in November 2009
have already returned in May end.
“We did not include refugees coming to Tripura from
Assam,” he said adding Bru militants who surrendered to the
Mizoram government were also not included.
Union Home Minister P Chidambaram, who visited Aizawl on
May 25 asked the Bru leaders to ensure that all refugees were
repatriated to Mizoram and said he would visit Mizoram again
to oversee the repatriation process.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves