Bru refugees headcount completed today
Aizawl: There are total 27,261 Bru refugees
from Mizoram in six relief camps in north Tripura district as
per a headcount completed today.
The head count exercise was undertaken as per the
instruction of the Mizoram government, which is regarded as
the first step in the effort to repatriate all Bru refugees
this year following instructions of Union Home Minister
P Chidambaram that it be completed by October end.
Mizoram Bru Displaced People’s Forum (MBDPF), which
undertook the exercise said the relief camps were located at
Kanchanpur sub-division in north Tripura district and the
refugees were classified into two groups - those who migrated
en masse in 1997 and those in 2009.
Elvis Chorkhy, MBDPF president said over phone Brus
who fled Mizoram in the wake of communal tension triggered by
the murder of a forest guard inside Dampa Tiger Reserve in
October 1997 by erstwhile Bru National Liberation Front (BNLF)
militants were 26,102 in number, including 5,090 minors and
belonging to 5,180 families.
Those who left Mizoram in November 2009 after a similar
incident at Bungthuam village, three days before the proposed
repatriation schedule for the refugees, were 1,159 people
including 242 minors and belonging to 241 families.
Around 240 families who fled Mizoram in November 2009
have already returned in May end.
“We did not include refugees coming to Tripura from
Assam,” he said adding Bru militants who surrendered to the
Mizoram government were also not included.
Union Home Minister P Chidambaram, who visited Aizawl on
May 25 asked the Bru leaders to ensure that all refugees were
repatriated to Mizoram and said he would visit Mizoram again
to oversee the repatriation process.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?