Bru refugees to cast votes through postal ballots in camps
Aizawl: The Bru voters staying in relief camps in Tripura will exercise their franchise through postal ballots in the camps, the CEC said today.
The arrangement has been made following an order of the Gauhati High Court in 1999, V S Sampath today told a press conference here.
He said leaders of some organisation had met him yesterday and said that new Bru voters were being included in haste and there was a chance that names of people, who were not eligible to vote in the state, could be included in the voters` list.
"We will ensure that no wrong entries were made and re-verify the new entrants if required," the CEC said, adding that the Chief Electoral Officers of both Mizoram and Tripura were instructed to ensure free and fair elections in the Bru relief camps.
The people of the Bru community were displaced from Mizoram following ethnic conflicts with the Mizos in 1997 and since then they were sheltered in six camps at Kanchanpur in North Tripura district.
Civil societies in Mizoram had earlier expressed apprehension that the presence of armed groups in relief camps would hinder free and fair polls in the camps and insisted that Bru voters cast their votes in their respective polling stations inside Mizoram.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog