BSF, BBG to patrol along international border
Shillong: Border guarding forces of India and Bangladesh have taken up joint patrolling along the international border in Meghalaya and Assam as part of their Ops Alert to thwart possible entry of militants into India ahead of Independence Day celebrations.
During the two-week Ops Alert mission, the Bangladesh Border Guards (BGB) would join the Border Security Force (BSF) in joint patrolling the areas which they had identified as "vulnerable", the officials said.
A senior BSF official said the border guard forces of both the countries have moved maximum troop at the border to prevent any attempt of crossing over by militants.
"We are keeping a tight vigil at the border with Bangladesh on a 24 hour basis beginning yesterday till August 20," a senior BSF official told PTI.
He said the unfenced part of the border in Meghalaya was especially considered a safe entry point by militants in the North East region, like ULFA and Manipur-based militant outfits.
The BSF took the help of their Bangladesh counterpart in the Ops Alert based on intelligence report that certain militant groups, especially the outlawed Hynniewtrep National Liberation Council (HNLC) of Meghalaya, were trying to enter the country to disrupt the August 15 celebrations.
The operation along the unfenced international borders was part of a Coordinated Border Management Plan signed by both the forces last year, the sources said.
Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina had assured Prime Minister Manmohan Singh of firm action against militants from northeastern region taking shelter in her country.
Last week, a top militant leader was arrested by the Meghalaya police near the international border, hours after he was pushed back by Bangladesh authorities.
The HNLC is scheduled to observe its 25th founding day on August 14, a day ahead of the Independence Day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!