BSF, BGB inspect 21 patches along Indo-Bangla bord
Agartala: Border security personnel of India and Bangladesh Monday made a joint inspection of 21 patches along the Indo-Bangla international border in West Tripura district where India proposes to construct single row fencing.
BSF sources said although 80 percent of the 856 km-long border with Bangladesh in Tripura had been fenced to check infiltration and smuggling, there were 61 patches in the state where fencing could not be erected due to resistance of locals on the plea that it would cause damage to properties like houses, temples and water bodies.
A double-row barbed wire fencing was constructed 150 yards away from the zero-line of the border to adhere to the Indira-Mujib pact of 1975.
BBG officials said that India?s proposal to construct the single row fencing near the zero-line would be placed before the Bangladesh government for decision-making.
It was likely that another meeting between the BSF and BGB would be held next month for review of the progress.
The BSF, which is the nodal agency for construction of barbed wire fencing, has set a target of completion of the fencing by next year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation – Part II
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof