BSF trooper, civilian killed in Tripura border clash, probe ordered
Agartala: A BSF trooper and a 70-year-old man were killed in a clash between the border guards and villagers along the India-Bangladesh border in Tripura. The Tripura government on Saturday has ordered a magisterial probe into the clash.
Eleven people were injured in the incident that occurred Friday night at Akhaurah on the outskirts of state capital Agartala.
"Some BSF troopers during routine patrolling Friday night got into a quarrel with some youth, sitting along the border fencing," Inspector General of Police Nepal Das told a news agency.
"Subsequently, a scuffle broke out between the two sides and the BSF opened fire, killing one person on the spot and injuring 11 others," Das said.
However, it is not clear yet how BSF trooper Sandip Kumar, 28, was killed. "After getting the inquest report and completion of inquiry, the reason will be known. There were many injury marks on his (Kumar`s) body," he said.
He said 70-year-old Ismail Mia, who rushed to the spot from his house upon hearing the noise, was killed in the BSF firing.
"The state government has ordered a magisterial inquiry and directed to submit the report within 15 days," West Tripura District Magistrate and Collector Abhishek Singh told reporters.
The BSF (Border Security Force) authorities are also conducting a separate investigation into the incident that created tension among the mixed population.
The injured people were admitted to the state-run Gobinda Ballav Pant Medical College and Hospital here.
Security forces, including the BSF and Tripura State Rifles, were deployed along the troubled areas and the capital city Saturday as tension mounted.
Muslim organisations held protest rallies here Saturday over the incident.
Tripura shares a 856-km border with Bangladesh that is porous because it extends over densely forested mountains. Over 25 to 30 percent of the border is still unfenced.
Congested human habitations along both sides of the border often create security-related problems.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves