BTAD violence perpetrated by anti-national element: Gogoi
Guwahati: Terming last year`s ethnic violence in lower Assam as the handiwork of anti-national elements, Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi today said certain forces "politicised the issue for narrow selfish gains" and asked the people to remain alert.
"Violence was perpetrated by some anti-national forces to sully our image. This violence even spread to places outside the state. However, due to concerted efforts the situation was prevented from drifting to a point of no return," Gogoi said addressing a public meeting at Diabari in Kokrajhar district.
"There were some political forces that politicised the issues for narrow selfish gains. Putting the lives of the people at peril through dangerous political machinations are nasty and mean politics," he said.
The chief minister appreciated the peace initiatives undertaken by the Bodoland Territorial Council (BTC) administration, an official statement said.
He said that the assembling together of thousands of people belonging to different communities in today`s meeting is an indicator that peace has returned to Bodoland Territorial Area Districts (BTAD) region and this augurs well for the state as a whole.
Gogoi appreciated the peace initiatives of the BTC administration under the leadership of Hagrama Mohilary and said, "Normalcy has returned to BTAD areas earlier than was expected. No one could have imagined that these areas which were affected by violence five months back have returned to normalcy, thanks to the peace efforts of Hagrama and his members, the state government and the people of BTAD areas."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!