BTC for separate Bodoland state
Kokrajhar: In an important decision, the
Bodoland Territorial Council (BTC) on Wednesday unanimously passed a
resolution for creation of a separate "Bodoland" state carved
out of Assam.
In the ongoing budget session, the BTC unanimously
passed the resolution, adopted unopposed, which was announced
by Emmanuel Moshahary, executive member of the council.
"It is unanimously felt by all the people of Bodoland
that the contentious issues that has been in the interest of
the people can be resolved only by creation of a separate
Bodoland state", the resolution said.
The resolution alleged that the state has not been
allocating annual plan fund to the BTC at the fixed ratio on
the basis of its population and central funds are not directed
to BTC straightaway.
The BTC in the resolution considered "strongly the
central government`s policy towards creation of new states as
Telengana carved out of Andhra Pradesh".
The then Bodo Security Force (BDSF), which was
disbanded and renamed as National Democratic Front of Bodoland
(NDFB) had spearheaded a bloody agitation for a separate
Bodoland state in the nineties but the demand was subsequently
dropped with a faction of the NDFB surrendering and rival
Bodoland Liberation Tigers (BLT) laying down arms and forming
the Bodoland Progressive Front (BPF) to rule the BTC and be an
ally of the ruling Congress.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections 2017: Samajwadi Party's 'kaam bolta hai' slogan faces litmus test
- Sony Xperia X gets a price cut of whopping Rs 14,000