Buddha`s relics to be hosted
Gangtok: The Enchey Monastery here will host the sacred relics of Sakyamuni Buddha and two of his chief followers, Sariputta and Maha Moggollan, for darshan by the people later this month.
Sikkim Buddhist Duechen Organisation, in collaboration with other Buddhist and social organizations, is organizing the exposition and darshan of the sacred relics in association with the Mahabodhi Society, Kolkata.
The exposition of the sacred relics will be held at Enchey Monastery here from February 18 to 20 and then move to Namchi Allay Serdup Monastery on February 22 and finally to Tashiding Monastery on February 25 and 26.
Addressing a press conference today, SBDO president Pasong Namgyal said that the initiative was to "refresh the teachings of Sakyamuni Buddha and enlighten human minds through an exposition of the sacred relics."
The relics are expected to arrive in Gangtok on 16 February.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez