Call for support of social activist Irom in Manipur
Imphal: Social organisations have called for supporting Manipuri social activist Irom Sharmila, who has been on fast for more ten years demanding repeal of the controversial Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA) 1958, to ensure protection of human rights.
Speaking on the occasion of the 11th foundation day celebrations of the All Manipur Kanba Ima Lup (AMKIL), a major woman social organisation set up to protect territories of Manipur, here yesterday, chairperson of Manipur social welfare board R K Nayansana said, it was now time to whole-heartedly support Sharmila.
Sharmila`s fast is a feat no one in the society would be able to achieve, said Nayansana adding, that Sharmila`s selfless endeavour should be appreciated and supported by every section of the society.
AMKIL president Phanjoubam Sakhi Leima, RTI activist Joykumar Wahengbam and social activist Sreema Ningombam, who all spoke also called for support of Sharmila.
Sakhi Leima said, it was also now time for empowerment of women to fight against corruption and also for protection of human rights pointing out that women have a great role to play in the development of the society.
RTI activist Joykumar Wahengbam asked the people to stand up against corruption as the fund being provided by the centre for development works was being misused thus depriving the benefit to the people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Ryan child death: Sexual assault allegations should be probed, says Manish Sisodia