Call for support of social activist Irom in Manipur
Imphal: Social organisations have called for supporting Manipuri social activist Irom Sharmila, who has been on fast for more ten years demanding repeal of the controversial Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA) 1958, to ensure protection of human rights.
Speaking on the occasion of the 11th foundation day celebrations of the All Manipur Kanba Ima Lup (AMKIL), a major woman social organisation set up to protect territories of Manipur, here yesterday, chairperson of Manipur social welfare board R K Nayansana said, it was now time to whole-heartedly support Sharmila.
Sharmila`s fast is a feat no one in the society would be able to achieve, said Nayansana adding, that Sharmila`s selfless endeavour should be appreciated and supported by every section of the society.
AMKIL president Phanjoubam Sakhi Leima, RTI activist Joykumar Wahengbam and social activist Sreema Ningombam, who all spoke also called for support of Sharmila.
Sakhi Leima said, it was also now time for empowerment of women to fight against corruption and also for protection of human rights pointing out that women have a great role to play in the development of the society.
RTI activist Joykumar Wahengbam asked the people to stand up against corruption as the fund being provided by the centre for development works was being misused thus depriving the benefit to the people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi