Call for support of social activist Irom in Manipur
Imphal: Social organisations have called for supporting Manipuri social activist Irom Sharmila, who has been on fast for more ten years demanding repeal of the controversial Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA) 1958, to ensure protection of human rights.
Speaking on the occasion of the 11th foundation day celebrations of the All Manipur Kanba Ima Lup (AMKIL), a major woman social organisation set up to protect territories of Manipur, here yesterday, chairperson of Manipur social welfare board R K Nayansana said, it was now time to whole-heartedly support Sharmila.
Sharmila`s fast is a feat no one in the society would be able to achieve, said Nayansana adding, that Sharmila`s selfless endeavour should be appreciated and supported by every section of the society.
AMKIL president Phanjoubam Sakhi Leima, RTI activist Joykumar Wahengbam and social activist Sreema Ningombam, who all spoke also called for support of Sharmila.
Sakhi Leima said, it was also now time for empowerment of women to fight against corruption and also for protection of human rights pointing out that women have a great role to play in the development of the society.
RTI activist Joykumar Wahengbam asked the people to stand up against corruption as the fund being provided by the centre for development works was being misused thus depriving the benefit to the people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015