Call for support of social activist Irom in Manipur
Imphal: Social organisations have called for supporting Manipuri social activist Irom Sharmila, who has been on fast for more ten years demanding repeal of the controversial Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA) 1958, to ensure protection of human rights.
Speaking on the occasion of the 11th foundation day celebrations of the All Manipur Kanba Ima Lup (AMKIL), a major woman social organisation set up to protect territories of Manipur, here yesterday, chairperson of Manipur social welfare board R K Nayansana said, it was now time to whole-heartedly support Sharmila.
Sharmila`s fast is a feat no one in the society would be able to achieve, said Nayansana adding, that Sharmila`s selfless endeavour should be appreciated and supported by every section of the society.
AMKIL president Phanjoubam Sakhi Leima, RTI activist Joykumar Wahengbam and social activist Sreema Ningombam, who all spoke also called for support of Sharmila.
Sakhi Leima said, it was also now time for empowerment of women to fight against corruption and also for protection of human rights pointing out that women have a great role to play in the development of the society.
RTI activist Joykumar Wahengbam asked the people to stand up against corruption as the fund being provided by the centre for development works was being misused thus depriving the benefit to the people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?