Campaign for Tripura assembly polls picks up pace
Agartala: With the Tripura Assembly polls hardly a fortnight away, both the ruling Left Front and opposition Congress are holding a series of meetings to woo the voters.
Chief Minister Manik Sarkar, the star campaigner for the LF, has already addressed 25 poll meetings since the announcement of the polls, CPI(M) state Secretary Bijon Dhar said.
He has also been holding small meetings at Dhanpur, his constituency where the electorate comprises tribal Muslims and Hindus, which is about 50 km from here.
The picture is almost the same in the other constituencies in eight districts where campaigning will end on February 12.
The assembly elections will held on February 14.
Of the 60 seats, CPI(M), the dominant partner of Left Front is contesting 56 seats, RSP two seats and CPI and Forward Block one each.
Dhar said party general secretary Prakash Karat, politburo member Brinda Karat, West Bengal leader of the opposition Suryakanta Mishra and central committee members Muhammad Selim and Sitaram Yechuri would campaign for the Left Front.
The Left Front has already held three rallies here which were addressed by Prakash Karat and Brinda Karat.
He said that it was to the credit of LF government in combating four decades of insurgency and ensuring peace and development and also communal harmony.
He claimed that Tripura has emerged as a model state in terms of good governance and topped in implementation of MNREGA, with the Centre giving 15 awards to the Left Front government for successful implementation of various schemes.
"We have promised to build more infrastructure like roads, drinking water, improvement in agriculture and irrigation," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow