Campaigning for Nagaland Assembly polls ends today
Kohima: Campaigning for the Nagaland Assembly elections will come to an end Thursday evening.
Almost all the political parties have roped in their national leaders to campaign for the polls and are trying to reach the maximum voters through rallies and visits.
The ruling Naga People`s Front (NPF) led by the Chief Minister Neiphiu Rio is busy in wooing the electorates throughout the state.
The Congress Party, which is also leaving no stone unturned in garnering people`s support to return to power, is being led by the Congress Legislature Party leader Tokheho.
To boost up the party`s morale, the Congress has so far brought several prominent and influential central leaders, including UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi, to campaign here.
The ruling NPF is fielding candidates in all the 60 seats while Congress has set up 57 candidates, the NCP 15, BJP 11, JD (U) 3, RJD 2, UNDP one and Independent 39.
Altogether there are 188 candidates, including two women aspirants in the fray for the polls to be held on Saturday.
In 2008 election, Nagaland Peoples Front won 26 seats; Indian National Congress won 23 seats. And BJP and Independent parties won 2 and 7 seats respectively.
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Know what Shah Rukh Khan feels about PM Narendra Modi’s ‘Make In India’ initiative
- Know how Karan Johar entertains ‘India's Got Talent’ co-judge Malaika Arora Khan
- CINTAA's joint secretary apologises to Rakhi Sawant, Dolly Bindra – Here’s why
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants Aamir, Salman, Shah Rukh Khan to support her
- Indian Naval Ships Veer, Nipat to be decommissioned today