Candlelight vigil in support of Sharmila`s fast
Guwahati: People from all walks of life on Monday took part in a candlelight vigil here to extend support
to Irom Sharmila of Manipur who is on a fast for over a decade
demanding repeal of the Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act
The march was organised at the Dighalipukhuri area
here by the influential North East Students Union (NESO) which
alleged the Centre`s apathy towards Sharmila.
People, who took part, alleged that the Centre along
with a large section of intellectuals and media had not given
due attention to Sharmila`s demand to repeal the controversial
NESO chairman Samujjal Bhattacharya said the people of
the northeast were united in their demand to repeal the Act.
"The country has failed to understand her. Is there
any record of 10-year-long fast anywhere in the world,
even during the Independence movement," he asked.
Prior to the candlelight vigil, the protesters covered
their faces with black cloths and observed solidarity by
organising a sit-in from 4 pm to 6 pm.
Sharmila is on a fast from November 4, 2000 following
the killing of 10 people by Assam Rifles and demanding the
scrapping of the Act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Massive storm at JNU over Afzal Guru as 'anti-India' slogans raised; university orders disciplinary enquiry
- Superstar Shah Rukh Khan's CPL franchise is now Trinbago Knight Riders
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- Came to Mumbai from Pakistan to select 26/11 attack sites, David Headley tells Mumbai court
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf