Candlelight vigil in support of Sharmila`s fast
Guwahati: People from all walks of life on Monday took part in a candlelight vigil here to extend support
to Irom Sharmila of Manipur who is on a fast for over a decade
demanding repeal of the Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act
The march was organised at the Dighalipukhuri area
here by the influential North East Students Union (NESO) which
alleged the Centre`s apathy towards Sharmila.
People, who took part, alleged that the Centre along
with a large section of intellectuals and media had not given
due attention to Sharmila`s demand to repeal the controversial
NESO chairman Samujjal Bhattacharya said the people of
the northeast were united in their demand to repeal the Act.
"The country has failed to understand her. Is there
any record of 10-year-long fast anywhere in the world,
even during the Independence movement," he asked.
Prior to the candlelight vigil, the protesters covered
their faces with black cloths and observed solidarity by
organising a sit-in from 4 pm to 6 pm.
Sharmila is on a fast from November 4, 2000 following
the killing of 10 people by Assam Rifles and demanding the
scrapping of the Act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Rahul Gandhi received pay while on 56 day leave: Organizer
- Mega sale: Snapdeal, Flipkart, others gear up for festive season
- Zee Media Exclusive: Three Romanians arrested in skimming scam in Mumbai
- Dadri lynching: Azam Khan seeks UN intervention
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country will not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- 'Rahul Gandhi gets pay without work'
- Dadri Police recommends FIR against Mahesh Sharma, Sangeet Som, Naseemuddin Siddiqui