Candlelight vigil in support of Sharmila`s fast
Guwahati: People from all walks of life on Monday took part in a candlelight vigil here to extend support
to Irom Sharmila of Manipur who is on a fast for over a decade
demanding repeal of the Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act
The march was organised at the Dighalipukhuri area
here by the influential North East Students Union (NESO) which
alleged the Centre`s apathy towards Sharmila.
People, who took part, alleged that the Centre along
with a large section of intellectuals and media had not given
due attention to Sharmila`s demand to repeal the controversial
NESO chairman Samujjal Bhattacharya said the people of
the northeast were united in their demand to repeal the Act.
"The country has failed to understand her. Is there
any record of 10-year-long fast anywhere in the world,
even during the Independence movement," he asked.
Prior to the candlelight vigil, the protesters covered
their faces with black cloths and observed solidarity by
organising a sit-in from 4 pm to 6 pm.
Sharmila is on a fast from November 4, 2000 following
the killing of 10 people by Assam Rifles and demanding the
scrapping of the Act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- Cricket reforms: BCCI submits Compliance Report to Supreme Court-appointed Justice RM Lodha panel
- Hours-long attack on Kabul American university kills sixteen
- Day/Night Duleep Trophy: Kuldeep's Yadav guile puts India Red in driver's seat
- How does smoke effect clouds in terms of climate? NASA flies to Africa to find out!
- Tamil Nadu cricketers picked for Duleep Trophy can play in TN Premier T20 League: BCCI