CBI denies reports about interrogating Assam ministers

Last Updated: Friday, August 6, 2010 - 19:23

Shillong: The CBI on Friday said its probe into
diversion of funds in Assam`s North Cachar Hills Autonomous
District Council was progressing well but denied reports that
it was going to interrogate some Assam ministers in connection
with the scandal.

Shillong-based CBI DIG H Nongpluh, who is heading the
probe, said that there was no truth in media reports that
some Assam ministers, among 11 people, would be interrogated.
He said five officers of the investigating agency were
camping in the district headquarter town of Haflong for the
probe which would take about a year`s time to complete.

The CBI took up the case after the National Investigating
Agency detected financial anomalies while investigating a
nexus between officials, politicians and militants in the
insurgency-hit district.
The NIA has named 30 people, including former members of
the executive council of the council and militants, in its FIR
which said there were financial anomalies to the tune of Rs 32
crore in five departments ? PWD, PHE, Agriculture, Soil
Conservation and Social Welfare - of the council.

The CBI had earlier recovered over Rs 13 crore from a
residence in Guwahati allegedly siphoned off from the
Council`s fund.

PTI



First Published: Friday, August 6, 2010 - 19:23

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus