CBI drops murder charges in Nido Tania`s death
New Delhi: CBI has dropped murder charges on the accused allegedly involved in the death of 19-year-old Northeast student Nido Tania, son of an Arunachal Pradesh MLA, on the ground that his killing was not premeditated but a result of altercation over breaking of glass counter.
Delhi Police had slapped charges against Farman, Sunder, Pawan and Sunny Uppal under section 302 (murder) of IPC after the postmortem report revealed that Nido Taniam died due
to injuries to his head and face caused by a blunt object.
However, in its charge sheet filed today before Chief Metropolitan Court here, CBI has alleged seven persons, including three juveniles, were involved in the assault on Tania and imposed charges of culpable homicide, illegal confinement and offences under the SC/ST Atrocities Act against the four.
The sources said the post-mortem report did not mention presence of any narcotic in Nido`s body.
The proceedings against the three juveniles will be carried out by the Juvenile Justice Board, the agency said.
Justifying the dilution of charges, CBI sources said the killing was triggered by an altercation over the breaking of counter and the accused had not planned it.
They said the accused had not intended to kill Nido resulting in dropping of murder charges.
The sources said no weapon used in the attack was found other than a stick.
Son of Congress MLA Nido Pavibtra from Arunachal Pradesh, Tania, a BA first year student in a private university, had an altercation with some shopkeepers at Lajpat Nagar here on January 29 this year after they made fun of his hairstyle, following which they allegedly thrashed him.
Nido was found dead the next day at his residence. Delhi Police have already slapped murder charges against four persons in connection with the case.
The case was transferred to CBI from Delhi Police for further probe after the victim`s parents had met Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde and Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi, demanding speedy justice for Nido.
Keeping in view sensitivities involved in the case, CBI engaged an officer from North East region to carry out the probe.
CBI said in its charge sheet that Nido had visited Lajpat Nagar along with his three friends where he was inquiring directions to the house of their common friend who lived in the area.
It alleged that in the process he reached one Rajasthan Paneer Bhandar where he asked for direction when the accused started humiliating and laughing at him.
"The CBI after detailed investigation has concluded that seven persons including three juveniles were involved in the assault on Nido Tania. Charge sheet has been filed today in the court ACMM, Saket, Delhi for offences related to culpable homicide, illegal confinement and offences under the SC/ST Attrocities Act against accused," CBI spokesperson said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Massive surge in BJP's seats; counting underway
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena, BJP supporters clash in Mumbai; Congress wiped out from state
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway