CBI to investigate ponzi scheme groups in Tripura
Agartala: The CBI will investigate the cases relating to ponzi schemes, which has defrauded a large number of people in Tripura.
Following a request to the CBI by the state government three months ago, the agency has agreed take up the cases, Finance Minister Badal Chowdhury told reporters here yesterday.
He said that the CID, which was investigating the cases, would hand them over to the CBI once it started investigations.
"When we received complaints from customers that different chit fund groups were deceiving them, we ordered an inquiry by the state CID," Chowdhury said.
The state government has notified that stern action would be taken against the chit fund groups if they did not refund the money to depositors by July 31.
Later, many chit fund groups closed down and their offices were sealed and employees arrested, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!