CBI to take custody of NDFB rebel
Nongpoh: The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) would soon take custody of National Democratic Front of Bodoland`s (NDFB) cadre Mathuram Brahma alias Mudoi, the prime accused in several bombings and killings in Assam, Meghalaya Police said on Tuesday.
Mudoi, who also holds the rank of sergeant major in the outfit, was arrested by Meghalaya`s Special Operation Team (SOT) on Feb 10 from Rangsana village of Ri-Bhoi district, bordering Assam.
Besides Mudoi, the SOT arrested Lachit Boro alias Langana, commander of the NDFB`s eastern command in Assam`s Sonitpur district, Nichiram Basumatary, Nakul Boro and Dharmeswar Brahma.
"Mudoi will be handed over to Assam Police for interrogation with regard to several militant activities in Assam. The CBI will take custody from them (Assam Police)", Ri-Bhoi police chief Claudia A. Lyngwa said.
Mudoi, who crossed over to India from Bangladesh via Meghalaya along with Lachit Boro, was wanted by various security agencies in the October 30, 2008, attack. The attack had claimed more than 90 lives and left 341 injured.
Meghalaya shares a 443-km border with Bangladesh, part of it is porous, hilly and unfenced, hence prone to frequent infiltration.
He is also wanted for murder of 21 people in Assam`s Sonitpur district and the kidnapping of Vilas Warkare, an Indian Forest Service officer, in Arunachal Pradesh last year.
Meanwhile, Meghalaya Police sought three days of police custody for Lachit Boro, who is involved in the killing of Raymond Philip Diengdoh, a deputy superintendent of police in Meghalaya in November 2007.
"Boro is the prime accused in the killing of Raymond in a gun battle between Meghalaya Police and the Hynniewtrep National Liberation Council (HNLC) and the NDFB", Lyngwa said.
The nabbed NDFB rebels, she said, had also revealed the links maintained with the Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA), a rebel group led by a police officer turned rogue Champion R Sangma.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand