CBI to take custody of NDFB rebel
Nongpoh: The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) would soon take custody of National Democratic Front of Bodoland`s (NDFB) cadre Mathuram Brahma alias Mudoi, the prime accused in several bombings and killings in Assam, Meghalaya Police said on Tuesday.
Mudoi, who also holds the rank of sergeant major in the outfit, was arrested by Meghalaya`s Special Operation Team (SOT) on Feb 10 from Rangsana village of Ri-Bhoi district, bordering Assam.
Besides Mudoi, the SOT arrested Lachit Boro alias Langana, commander of the NDFB`s eastern command in Assam`s Sonitpur district, Nichiram Basumatary, Nakul Boro and Dharmeswar Brahma.
"Mudoi will be handed over to Assam Police for interrogation with regard to several militant activities in Assam. The CBI will take custody from them (Assam Police)", Ri-Bhoi police chief Claudia A. Lyngwa said.
Mudoi, who crossed over to India from Bangladesh via Meghalaya along with Lachit Boro, was wanted by various security agencies in the October 30, 2008, attack. The attack had claimed more than 90 lives and left 341 injured.
Meghalaya shares a 443-km border with Bangladesh, part of it is porous, hilly and unfenced, hence prone to frequent infiltration.
He is also wanted for murder of 21 people in Assam`s Sonitpur district and the kidnapping of Vilas Warkare, an Indian Forest Service officer, in Arunachal Pradesh last year.
Meanwhile, Meghalaya Police sought three days of police custody for Lachit Boro, who is involved in the killing of Raymond Philip Diengdoh, a deputy superintendent of police in Meghalaya in November 2007.
"Boro is the prime accused in the killing of Raymond in a gun battle between Meghalaya Police and the Hynniewtrep National Liberation Council (HNLC) and the NDFB", Lyngwa said.
The nabbed NDFB rebels, she said, had also revealed the links maintained with the Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA), a rebel group led by a police officer turned rogue Champion R Sangma.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader