Ceasefire with ANVC extended for 3 months
Shillong: The Centre on Tuesday extended the
ceasefire with the banned Achik National Volunteer Council
(ANVC) of Meghalaya by three months.
"A revised ceasefire agreement was signed by ANVC at
the meeting of Joint Ceasefire Monitoring Group held in New
Delhi," an official source told agency.
The ceasefire agreement was due to expire on March 31.
MHA Joint Secretary in-charge of northeast Naveen
Verma was present at the meeting which was attended by three
senior ANVC leaders, including its `general secretary` W
Sources said ANVC assured "to adhere to the ceasefire
ground rules and have better control on the camps and the
The revised ceasefire agreement incorporates stringent
measures for adherence to the ground-rules, with the group
being accused of violating them while in truce since 2004,
ANVC had also met Centre`s interlocutor and former IB
chief P C Haldar in New Delhi yesterday. Haldar had also met
the group`s representatives in Shillong on March 16 where the
political demands of the group were discussed.
The banned group, which had entered into a tripartite
ceasefire agreement with Centre and the state in 2004, had
threatened to walk out of the truce if the Centre failed to
come up with a "workable solution" to their demands.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed