Central team to assess flood damage in Arunachal
Itanagar: The Centre will soon depute a team of officials to assess the damage caused by floods in Arunachal Pradesh, Union Home Minister P Chidambaram has said.
Chidambaram conveyed this to state Chief Minister Nabam Tuki, who briefed him on the extensive damage caused by the recent spate of flash floods in the state, officials said here on Friday.
Heavy and continuous rainfall in June and early July had triggered an unprecedented spate of flash floods across the state washing away several roads and bridges and inundated innumerable villages.
Besides causing extensive damages to properties, a couple of lives were also lost.
Tuki particularly highlighted the damages caused to road infrastructure snapping connectivity to various townships and villages in districts, including the state capital Itanagar.
He also informed the Union minister of the disruption of power and water supplies and inundation of vast lands of agriculture and horticulture causing huge losses to farmers.
Ongoing projects, like hydro-power and the Trans Arunachal Highway, have also been adversely affected by the abrupt monsoon rains and cloud bursts, Tuki apprised Chidambaram during the meeting, the sources said.
Chidambaram assured Tuki that a final decision for provision of relief would be taken after submission of the report by the team.
The minister also assured fund provisions from his ministry for development of infrastructure under police modernization to the state, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre