`Centre appointed Governor without consulting Tripura govt`
Agartala: Tripura Chief Minister Manik Sarkar on Tuesday criticised the Centre for appointing Devanand Konwar as new state Governor without consulting the government.
"The way Governor was appointed for our state is unjust and undesirable," Sarkar told reporters here.
"In my last 15 years stint as Chief Minister I have experienced the convention that Home Minister speak to the Chief Minister of the respective state and send a list of names of proposed Governors from where the state chooses one name. There were instances that even the Home Ministry sent a second list from where governor was chosen," he said.
"It was perhaps on March 7, Home Minister Sushil Shinde talked to me regarding appointment of new Governor and I told him that the new ministry has taken oath yesterday. New session of the Assembly would begin on March 15 and the incumbent Governor has also finalised his inaugural address. So it would not be right to change the Governor now. More over Governor is not present in the state right now," the Chief Minister said.
"We became stunned when our resident commissioner at Tripura Bhavan in Delhi collected the copy of the Rashtrapati Bhavan notification of March 9. It seems that the Centre is imposing their decision on us," Sarkar said.
Rastrapati Bhavan made a notification on Saturday (March 9) appointing Devand Konwar, as the Governor of Tripura, who is at present Governor of Bihar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read