Centre approves Border Haat in Arunachal Pradesh
Itanagar: The Centre has approved opening up of a Border Haat at Pangsau Pass along the Indo-Myanmar border in Changlang district of Arunachal Pradesh to boost border trade with South East Asia in tune to its Look East Policy.
Chief Minister Nabam Tuki had last year written a letter to the Prime Minister requesting for opening up border trade on few specific points along the International border that Arunachal Pradesh shares with neighbouring countries.
The Union External Affairs ministry yesterday informed Tuki that under the memorandum of understanding (MoU) on establishment of Border Haats along the Indo-Myanmar border, which was signed during the visit of Prime Minister to Myanmar in May last year, the Centre has approved opening of a Border Haat at Pangsau Pass, official sources said here today.
The modalities for operationalisation of the Border Haat have been finalized at technical level discussions that were held in October last year in Myanmar, informed Foreign Secretary Ranjan Mathai.
Once established the Border Haat would be the first of its kind along the border with Myanmar and its operationalisation is expected to provide impetus to development activities for the people living close to the border areas.
Meanwhile, the chief minister has expressed gratitude to the Centre for heeding to the request of the state government. He expressed hope that the initiative would bolster economic activities and offer gainful employment to locals of the border areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- In Haryana's Mewat, half a dozen men kill couple, gang-rape two relatives
- Indian tablet market grew 14.4% in Q2 2016; Datawind continues domination
- From waiter to an Olympian in Rio: This is India's unsung hero Manish Rawat's story – HATS OFF!
- Do you know how harmful leading a sedentary lifestyle is? - Read
- HILARIOUS! Indian Twitter roasts Sanjay Manjrekar for siding with Piers Morgan