Centre approves Border Haat in Arunachal Pradesh
Itanagar: The Centre has approved opening up of a Border Haat at Pangsau Pass along the Indo-Myanmar border in Changlang district of Arunachal Pradesh to boost border trade with South East Asia in tune to its Look East Policy.
Chief Minister Nabam Tuki had last year written a letter to the Prime Minister requesting for opening up border trade on few specific points along the International border that Arunachal Pradesh shares with neighbouring countries.
The Union External Affairs ministry yesterday informed Tuki that under the memorandum of understanding (MoU) on establishment of Border Haats along the Indo-Myanmar border, which was signed during the visit of Prime Minister to Myanmar in May last year, the Centre has approved opening of a Border Haat at Pangsau Pass, official sources said here today.
The modalities for operationalisation of the Border Haat have been finalized at technical level discussions that were held in October last year in Myanmar, informed Foreign Secretary Ranjan Mathai.
Once established the Border Haat would be the first of its kind along the border with Myanmar and its operationalisation is expected to provide impetus to development activities for the people living close to the border areas.
Meanwhile, the chief minister has expressed gratitude to the Centre for heeding to the request of the state government. He expressed hope that the initiative would bolster economic activities and offer gainful employment to locals of the border areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune