Centre asks Assam govt to tighten security
New Delhi: Apprehending a backlash following
the handing over of ULFA Chairman Arabinda Rajkhowa by
Bangladesh, the Centre has asked the Assam government to
tighten security as supporters of the outfit`s military wing
head Paresh Baruah are still active in parts of the state.
Home Ministry officials are in constant touch with
Assam government officials ever since the reports of detention
of Rajkhowa in Bangladesh emerged two days ago and suggested
measures be taken to beef up security across the state,
Baruah, who controls the armed cadres of the banned
outfit, is at large and is against any kind of talks with the
government. He may foment trouble by asking his followers to
carry out subversive activities after the handing over of
Rajkhowa and Baruah`s deputy Raju Baruah, the sources said.
"We have asked the Assam government to take all necessary
precautionary measures as we don`t want to take any chance,"
a Home Ministry official said.
The Bangladesh authorities today handed over to BSF
Rajkhowa, his wife and two children, his bodyguard Raju Borah,
`Deputy Commander-in-chief` Raju Baruah, his wife and son, and
wife and daughter of ULFA`s self-styled foreign secretary
Sashadhar Choudhury, who was handed over to India along with
`Finance Secretary` Chitraban Hazarika last month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result 2015 to be announced shortly