Centre asks Assam govt to tighten security
New Delhi: Apprehending a backlash following
the handing over of ULFA Chairman Arabinda Rajkhowa by
Bangladesh, the Centre has asked the Assam government to
tighten security as supporters of the outfit`s military wing
head Paresh Baruah are still active in parts of the state.
Home Ministry officials are in constant touch with
Assam government officials ever since the reports of detention
of Rajkhowa in Bangladesh emerged two days ago and suggested
measures be taken to beef up security across the state,
Baruah, who controls the armed cadres of the banned
outfit, is at large and is against any kind of talks with the
government. He may foment trouble by asking his followers to
carry out subversive activities after the handing over of
Rajkhowa and Baruah`s deputy Raju Baruah, the sources said.
"We have asked the Assam government to take all necessary
precautionary measures as we don`t want to take any chance,"
a Home Ministry official said.
The Bangladesh authorities today handed over to BSF
Rajkhowa, his wife and two children, his bodyguard Raju Borah,
`Deputy Commander-in-chief` Raju Baruah, his wife and son, and
wife and daughter of ULFA`s self-styled foreign secretary
Sashadhar Choudhury, who was handed over to India along with
`Finance Secretary` Chitraban Hazarika last month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- Does religion teach gender discrimination?
- Does religion teach gender discrimination? - Part III
- DNA: Siachen survivor Hanumanthappa fights for life as India prays for him
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Digangana Suryavanshi chops off her mane on Salman Khan's advice—See pics!