Centre directs Meghalaya to stop negotiations with GNLA
Shillong: The Centre has formally indicated to the state government not to pursue further negotiations with Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA) militants for peace talks, Meghalaya Chief Minister Mukul Sangma on Thursday said.
"The Centre has formally indicated that we should not pursue further negotiations (for peace talks) with the GNLA," Sangma said.
He said the decision in this regard came in the wake of the GNLA`s involvement in various criminal activities in the past few months.
"In spite of our repeated reminders, GNLA continued to indulge in various criminal activities including killing and crimes against women and other helpless people," he said.
A 35-year-old woman`s head was blown off in South Garo Hills last month after she resisted an alleged molestation and rape attempt, wherein she was accused of being a police informer.
He also reminded that the state government had maintained that all militant organisations should stop all their criminal activities if they wanted to engage in dialogues for peace.
Urging those who took up arms to return to mainstream lifestyle, Sangma said, "It is therefore necessary for these outfits to start paving the way for permanent peace and progress of the state by surrendering and come over ground and look at the opportunities of how to be responsible in creating positive environment for the welfare of the people of whose interest they profess to be representing."
Five districts in western Meghalaya are in the grip of militancy and the GNLA is one of the many active militant organisations that have come up in the past four years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price