Centre directs Meghalaya to stop negotiations with GNLA
Shillong: The Centre has formally indicated to the state government not to pursue further negotiations with Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA) militants for peace talks, Meghalaya Chief Minister Mukul Sangma on Thursday said.
"The Centre has formally indicated that we should not pursue further negotiations (for peace talks) with the GNLA," Sangma said.
He said the decision in this regard came in the wake of the GNLA`s involvement in various criminal activities in the past few months.
"In spite of our repeated reminders, GNLA continued to indulge in various criminal activities including killing and crimes against women and other helpless people," he said.
A 35-year-old woman`s head was blown off in South Garo Hills last month after she resisted an alleged molestation and rape attempt, wherein she was accused of being a police informer.
He also reminded that the state government had maintained that all militant organisations should stop all their criminal activities if they wanted to engage in dialogues for peace.
Urging those who took up arms to return to mainstream lifestyle, Sangma said, "It is therefore necessary for these outfits to start paving the way for permanent peace and progress of the state by surrendering and come over ground and look at the opportunities of how to be responsible in creating positive environment for the welfare of the people of whose interest they profess to be representing."
Five districts in western Meghalaya are in the grip of militancy and the GNLA is one of the many active militant organisations that have come up in the past four years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!