Centre for sealing border with Myanmar to prevent PRRS
Aizawl: The Centre is of the view that the north eastern states, especially Manipur and Mizoram, should seal their border with Myanmar to ensure that the dreaded swine fever, Porcine Reproductive and Respiratory Syndrome (PRRS), infected pigs were not imported to India.
Dr L.B. Sailo, director of the Mizoram Animal Husbandry and Veterinary department, who attended a meeting of the expert committee on tackling PRRS in New Delhi told PTI today that the Centre was alarmed over the detection of PRRS cases in the north eastern state.
Sailo said that while Mizoram also banned import of pigs from Myanmar, the Centre felt that deployment of para-military forces was warranted to ensure complete sealing of Mizoram`s 404-km-long international border with that country.
"Myanmar was the only country having PRRS till some swine in India`s north east were found to be infected with the dreaded disease," he said.
At least 3,800 pigs died during March and April this year in Mizoram and many of them were found to be infected with PRRS by ICAR`s laboratory in Barapani, Shillong which was confirmed on June 21 by High Security Animal Disease Laboratory, Bhopal.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- WATCH: Rare CCTV video of Ajmal Kasab and other terrorists of 26/11 Mumbai attacks
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Four minors gang-rape teenage girl in Mumbai, circulate video on WhatsApp