Chakma and Tripuri refugees repatriated to Bangladesh
Agartala: All the 92 people of Chakma and Tripuri community from the Chittagong Hill tract in Bangladesh, who took refuge in Dhalai district following an ethnic strife there, have been repatriated, officials said on Sunday.
"They came on Monday last and were given shelter in the Girish Karbaripara school of Gandacherra sub-division and returned to their home following a meeting between the BGB and BSF yesterday," Sub-Divisional Magistrate of Gandacherra, Bhaskar Dasgupta told reporters.
During the time of return of the refugees, District Magistrate of Dhalai and officials from Bangladesh and security personnel of BSF and BGB were present at the border.
A list of Bangladeshi nationals who had crossed over the Indo-Bangla border was prepared and handed over to BGB.
"The tribals had crossed the border following an ethnic strife in the bordering Khagracherri district of Bangladesh. But the situation is normal there now," said the District Magistrate of Dhalai, Milind D Ramteke.
Earlier, state government communicated the matter to the Union Home and External Affairs Ministries for necessary steps and Tripura Chief Secretary SK Panda was asked to send a list of Bangladeshi refugees to the Indian High Commission office in Dhaka.
Tripura shares an 856 km-long border with Bangladesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?