Chamling slams media for twisting his statement on NH-31A
Gangtok: Under fire from the opposition in
Sikkim and pro-statehood forces in Darjeeling for his alleged
anti-Gorkhaland stand, the Chief Minister Pawan Kumar Chamling
has hit out at a section of media for misinterpretation of his
statement seeking uninterrupted traffic on the National
Highway 31A in the economic interest of the border state.
"A section of media, particularly those belonging to
Darjeeling Hills and other adjoining areas and working in
Sikkim, have maliciously misinterpreted my consistent stand
for keeping the highway open round-the-clock," he told a
public meeting here.
These mediapersons have not not only tried to project him
as an opponent of the statehood issue across the border, but
also tried to create divide between the two regions who have
had historical and cultural relations with each other for
centuries, Chamling said.
Stating that such irresponsible reporting on sensitive
matters may create law and order problems in Sikkim, the Chief
Minister asked the mediapersons to refrain from taking up a
partisan stand keeping in view the sensitivity of the entire
Chamling also urged the people to guard themselves
against rumours and propaganda doing the rounds against him
and the state dubbing them as the antagonists to the statehood
demand in Darjeeling Hills.
Chamling has been under fire from the opposition after he
had highlighted at the internal security meeting in New Delhi
last week about the plight of the Sikkimese people and adverse
impact on the economic development in the state due to
frequent blockades of the highway by political elements in
Darjeeling Hills on the statehood issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata