Chancellor of CMJ varsity held on fake PhD selling charge
Shillong: Chancellor of Meghalaya`s CMJ University, Chandra Mohan Jha who was wanted by police on the charge of selling fake PhD degrees, was arrested Tuesday from Bihar where he was contesting the Lok Sabha elections as an Independent candidate.
"A special team from Meghalaya police today arrested Dr CM Jha today during his campaign at Maholi area in Madhubani district," Bihar Additional Director General of Police R Kumar told PTI over phone.
He said the arrest was made based on a warrant produced by the Meghalaya police team against Jha for a case in Shillong.
Jha, contesting as an Independent candidate from Jhanjharpur constituency, is likely to be produced in a local court for a transit remand to Shillong.
The Supreme Court had rejected Jha`s anticipatory bail petition last month.
Jha founded the first self-financed university in Meghalaya, CMJ University, in 2009, and awarded a record number of 434 PhD degrees between 2012 and 2013, apart from registering 490 more PhD scholars during the same year in violation of UGC norms.
Former Governor R S Mooshahary`s principal secretary M S Rao lodged an FIR against Jha.
Several of the University`s top officials were arrested. The state police recently arrested the chancellor of a private university in Arunachal Pradesh, Dhanwant Singh Matharoo, too for his alleged role in the affairs of the CMJ university.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'