Chancellor of CMJ varsity held on fake PhD selling charge
Shillong: Chancellor of Meghalaya`s CMJ University, Chandra Mohan Jha who was wanted by police on the charge of selling fake PhD degrees, was arrested Tuesday from Bihar where he was contesting the Lok Sabha elections as an Independent candidate.
"A special team from Meghalaya police today arrested Dr CM Jha today during his campaign at Maholi area in Madhubani district," Bihar Additional Director General of Police R Kumar told PTI over phone.
He said the arrest was made based on a warrant produced by the Meghalaya police team against Jha for a case in Shillong.
Jha, contesting as an Independent candidate from Jhanjharpur constituency, is likely to be produced in a local court for a transit remand to Shillong.
The Supreme Court had rejected Jha`s anticipatory bail petition last month.
Jha founded the first self-financed university in Meghalaya, CMJ University, in 2009, and awarded a record number of 434 PhD degrees between 2012 and 2013, apart from registering 490 more PhD scholars during the same year in violation of UGC norms.
Former Governor R S Mooshahary`s principal secretary M S Rao lodged an FIR against Jha.
Several of the University`s top officials were arrested. The state police recently arrested the chancellor of a private university in Arunachal Pradesh, Dhanwant Singh Matharoo, too for his alleged role in the affairs of the CMJ university.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Saif Ali Khan finds Kareena Kapoor very sexy in 'Yeh Mera Dil' song
- Donald Trump demands special prosecutor to probe Hillary Clinton allegations
- Assam BJP leader's son kidnapped, ULFA releases ISIS-style video
- Amazon working on music subscription service for $5 a month
- Outstanding! Akshay Kumar's 'Rustom' is unstoppable at the Box Office – Read more