Chit fund: Tripura CM slams Centre for not enacting law
Agartala: Tripura Chief Minister Manik Sarkar on Wednesday slammed the Centre for not enacting a uniform law for controlling chit fund companies which operate after getting license from central government.
"The chit fund groups launch their business in various states by obtaining license from various bodies of the central government and they identify themselves as the micro-finance groups. So, it becomes difficult for the states to take action against them," Sarkar told reporters here.
"It should be the responsibility of the central government to enact a uniform law to regulate them. Despite our repeated requests to the central government they did not enact any such rules," said Sarkar, also a senior CPI(M) leader.
Sarkar, who is also the Home Minister of the state, said his government was keeping a close surveillance on the functioning of the chit funds in the state and had enacted a rule for protection of the depositors.
Sarkar, who had just returned from Delhi, held meeting with Finance Minister Badal Chowdhury and the Finance Secretary and asked them to keep vigil on the chit fund companies.
Meanwhile, many agents of Saradha groups and their depositors yesterday lodged complaints with the police here and West Tripura District Magistrate that the commission of the agents were not being paid and depositors` money not being returned with benefits.
The police said they would take action on the basis of the complaints.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert