Christ picture: Absconding publisher gets interim bail
Shillong: The absconding publisher, whose
school text-books carried a scandalous representation of Jesus
Christ holding a cigarette and a beer can, today procured an
"Director of Delhi-based Skyline Publication, Indra
Mohan Jha today got an interim bail from the Shillong bench of
Gauhati High Court through his counsel," DSP Vivek Syiem said.
A CJM court here had issued an arrest warrant against
him on February 23 after the authorities of a convent school
here, where the book carrying the controversial picture were
supplied, filed an FIR.
A Meghalaya Police team had gone to Delhi in the last
week of February to arrest him, but Jha could not be traced.
"His Ghaziabad residence was locked and neighbours
said he was missing since some days. No one was available in
the publication`s office at Hasanpur in Delhi," Syiem said.
A case under Section 295 (A) of the IPC has been
registered against Skyline Publication for hurting religious
Meghalaya Police is, however, likely to challenge the
interim bail in the court.
The publication had tendered a public apology for
hurting religious sentiments and regretted the "gross
mistake", saying "action has been initiated to retrieve the
erroneous book from all places where it has been sent".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How justified is the violence in Gujarat over quota row?-Part 2
- Gujarat quota stir: Exclusive interview with Hardik Patel
- DNA: Sheena Bora's murder case- Know how the mystery unfolded!
- Sheena Bora murder mystery: Eight questions which need to be answered
- Live TV shootout of American journalists shocks the world
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea