CID sleuths raid Meghalaya`s private varsity
Shillong: Sleuths of the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) raided the offices of Meghalaya`s private CMJ University on Thursday night, police said.
The Meghalaya Governor`s Secretariat had lodged a first information report (FIR) with the police against the CMJ University and its Chancellor Chandra Mohan Jha for alleged lapses and fraud involving fake degrees for students.
Jha is presently in Bihar attending a marriage, police said.
The CMJ University, the first private varsity in this mountainous state capital of Meghalaya, hit media headlines following Governor RS Mooshahary, who is also the university`s visitor, exposing various irregularities in its functioning.
"We raided the university following a court order," a CID official said.
Established in 2009, the university has created a record of sorts by awarding Ph.D. degrees to as many as 434 candidates in 2012-13 academic year, even as only 10 of its faculty members have doctorates.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- After Jayalalithaa, Sasikala Natarajan holds all cards – Know more about her