CID sleuths raid Meghalaya`s private varsity
Shillong: Sleuths of the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) raided the offices of Meghalaya`s private CMJ University on Thursday night, police said.
The Meghalaya Governor`s Secretariat had lodged a first information report (FIR) with the police against the CMJ University and its Chancellor Chandra Mohan Jha for alleged lapses and fraud involving fake degrees for students.
Jha is presently in Bihar attending a marriage, police said.
The CMJ University, the first private varsity in this mountainous state capital of Meghalaya, hit media headlines following Governor RS Mooshahary, who is also the university`s visitor, exposing various irregularities in its functioning.
"We raided the university following a court order," a CID official said.
Established in 2009, the university has created a record of sorts by awarding Ph.D. degrees to as many as 434 candidates in 2012-13 academic year, even as only 10 of its faculty members have doctorates.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference