Civil rights activist Sharmila released, but fast continues
Imphal: Civil rights activist Irom
Sharmila, on a fast unto death for more than nine years
demanding repeal of the controversial Armed Forces Special
Powers Act (AFSPA) 1958 from Manipur, was released Tuesday
but her fast continued.
Officials said Sharmila, put at the jail-converted J N
Hospital ward where she was nose-fed, was freed at around 7.30
pm yesterday. She had been taken to the hospital a few years
back from jail.
Immediately after release on completion of jail term,
Sharmila was taken to Porompat area where women activists,
under the `Save Sharmila Kanba Lup` (Save Sharmila Committee),
had been on an indefinite relay hunger strike for the past one
year to press the government fulfill her demand, a
spokesperson of the committee said.
Sharmila continued her fast at the spot, the
She had been similarly released on completion of jail
term in past years, but then again she had to be re-arrested
after two-three days for refusal to withdraw her fast and as
her condition worsened in the absence of hospital back-up.
Sharmila began her fast on November 2, 2000 after ten
persons were killed in firing by Assam Rifles at Imphal
airport area while demanding withdrawal of the AFSPA. The
protestors alleged that under this Act, human rights violation
was taking place in Manipur for years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days