CL Ruala Congress nominee from Mizoram
Aizawl: Former Minister and sitting Lok Sabha member C L Ruala (79) is the official candidate of the ruling Congress in upcoming elections to the lone Lok Sabha seat from Mizoram to be held on April nine.
Ruala is contesting the elections against two opponents - Robert Romawia Royte, an independent candidate sponsored by the eight-party United Democratic Alliance (UDF) and M Lalmanzuala of the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP).
The veteran Congressman first contested the Lok Sabha polls from Mizoram on Congress ticket in 1977 but lost to Dr R Rothuama of People`s Conference by a margin of 16,006 in a four-cornered contest.
However, he won the 2009 Lok Sabha elections by defeating his nearest rival Dr H. Lallungmuana, an independent candidate sponsored by the opposition Mizo National Front (MNF) and the Mizoram People`s Conference (MPC) by a margin of 1,08,955 votes, the highest ever in the electoral history of the state.
Born in 1936, he graduated from Shillong`s St. Edmund`s College in 1964 and joined the Congress party in 1968.
He became member of the Mizo District Council as a nominated member in 1970 and became Executive Member looking after Forest and Revenue departments.
After being elected from Tlungvel seat in the Assembly polls in 1978 and 1979, he won the assembly by-poll in 1984 from North Vanlaiphai seat and was inducted in the ministry headed by chief minister Lal Thanhawla.
He was re-elected from North Vanlaiphai seat in 1989 and 1993 assembly polls and continued as a senior cabinet minister till 1998 when the Congress was routed by the MNF in the state assembly polls.
Ruala who has an image of being a clean politician is poorest among the three candidates in the fray with Rs 5 lakh in hand.
He also has Rs 41,53,421.83 and Rs 2,15,80,000 movable and immovable property respectively.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Do you want to work for the Narendra Modi Government? Apply here
- Fire in Hauz Khas Village, one found dead
- Premier League 2016-17: Sunderland struggling to match rivals financially, says David Moyes
- England won't force players to tour Bangladesh, says skipper Eoin Morgan
- Uttar Pradesh Speaker to decide on disqualification of Swamy Prasad Maurya