Clashes in Meghalaya & Assam, forces deployed
Shillong: A clash broke out between two groups at Nolbari bordering Meghalaya`s East Garo Hills district and Assam`s Goalpara district following which additional security forces were on Sunday deployed along the western border of Assam and Meghalaya, police said.
A clash broke out between Garo and Rabha groups at Nolbari bordering Meghalaya’s East Garo Hills district and Assam’s Goalpara district last evening.
The officer in charge of Mendipathar police station (Meghalaya) who rushed to the spot was gheraoed by the miscreants and even manhandled, official sources said.
Later additional police personnel from both Meghalaya and Assam were rushed to the area to control the situation.
East Garo Hills deputy commissioner Pravin Bakshi said situation was tense in the area and additional forces were
sent there today.
Two magistrates have been stationed at Mendipathar who
are keeping a close watch on the situation and talking to the
warring groups, he said.
An undercurrent of tension between the ethnic groups at
the border area there have been there since long, with
allegations that people from Meghalaya being attacked while
travelling to Assam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Royal couple Saif Ali Khan, Kareena Kapoor Khan spotted on the streets of London! – Watch video
- Worrying signs: Indian student studying in US spotted in ISIS video, says report
- Cbseresults.nic.in & CBSE.nic.in 10th X Result 2016 CBSE: CBSE board class 10th X exam result 2016 announced
- Our key mandate in India is to reduce rural poverty: Rasha Omar, IFAD
- Things you didn't know of Instagram!