Clashes in Meghalaya & Assam, forces deployed
Shillong: A clash broke out between two groups at Nolbari bordering Meghalaya`s East Garo Hills district and Assam`s Goalpara district following which additional security forces were on Sunday deployed along the western border of Assam and Meghalaya, police said.
A clash broke out between Garo and Rabha groups at Nolbari bordering Meghalaya’s East Garo Hills district and Assam’s Goalpara district last evening.
The officer in charge of Mendipathar police station (Meghalaya) who rushed to the spot was gheraoed by the miscreants and even manhandled, official sources said.
Later additional police personnel from both Meghalaya and Assam were rushed to the area to control the situation.
East Garo Hills deputy commissioner Pravin Bakshi said situation was tense in the area and additional forces were
sent there today.
Two magistrates have been stationed at Mendipathar who
are keeping a close watch on the situation and talking to the
warring groups, he said.
An undercurrent of tension between the ethnic groups at
the border area there have been there since long, with
allegations that people from Meghalaya being attacked while
travelling to Assam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Wow! Soon you may find a robot greeting you at HDFC Bank
- Half of states expected to ratify GST by early September
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers
- Three accused of 2009 Sri Lanka cricket team attack killed, claims Pakistan