Clashes in Meghalaya & Assam, forces deployed
Shillong: A clash broke out between two groups at Nolbari bordering Meghalaya`s East Garo Hills district and Assam`s Goalpara district following which additional security forces were on Sunday deployed along the western border of Assam and Meghalaya, police said.
A clash broke out between Garo and Rabha groups at Nolbari bordering Meghalaya’s East Garo Hills district and Assam’s Goalpara district last evening.
The officer in charge of Mendipathar police station (Meghalaya) who rushed to the spot was gheraoed by the miscreants and even manhandled, official sources said.
Later additional police personnel from both Meghalaya and Assam were rushed to the area to control the situation.
East Garo Hills deputy commissioner Pravin Bakshi said situation was tense in the area and additional forces were
sent there today.
Two magistrates have been stationed at Mendipathar who
are keeping a close watch on the situation and talking to the
warring groups, he said.
An undercurrent of tension between the ethnic groups at
the border area there have been there since long, with
allegations that people from Meghalaya being attacked while
travelling to Assam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- LTCG tax concession for under construction property
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic