Clashes in Meghalaya & Assam, forces deployed
Shillong: A clash broke out between two groups at Nolbari bordering Meghalaya`s East Garo Hills district and Assam`s Goalpara district following which additional security forces were on Sunday deployed along the western border of Assam and Meghalaya, police said.
A clash broke out between Garo and Rabha groups at Nolbari bordering Meghalaya’s East Garo Hills district and Assam’s Goalpara district last evening.
The officer in charge of Mendipathar police station (Meghalaya) who rushed to the spot was gheraoed by the miscreants and even manhandled, official sources said.
Later additional police personnel from both Meghalaya and Assam were rushed to the area to control the situation.
East Garo Hills deputy commissioner Pravin Bakshi said situation was tense in the area and additional forces were
sent there today.
Two magistrates have been stationed at Mendipathar who
are keeping a close watch on the situation and talking to the
warring groups, he said.
An undercurrent of tension between the ethnic groups at
the border area there have been there since long, with
allegations that people from Meghalaya being attacked while
travelling to Assam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'