CoBRA commandos deployed in Meghalaya
Shillong: Two units of Combat Battalion for Resolute Action (CoBRA) commandos have been deployed in the insurgency-prone area of western Meghalaya, police said on Tuesday.
"The CoBRA commandos landed in East Garo Hills district last evening and would soon assist us in our combing operations against the GNLA (Garo National Liberation Army)," B. Kezo, the officiating Meghalaya Police chief said.
An additional five companies of Border Security Force troopers would soon be deployed in the region, he said.
The CoBRA commandos - a special force raised to tackle the Maoist insurgency in India - will counter the growing GNLA activities in East and South Garo Hills districts, considered to be GNLA`s heartland.
Presently, 500 Central Reserve Police Force troopers assist the Meghalaya Police and its Special Weapons and Tactics commandos to tackle the GNLA.
The GNLA, one of the five Garo rebel groups, is fighting for a sovereign `Garoland`.
More than 10 people, including security personnel, have been killed in the Garo Hills during the last one year by GNLA rebels.
The outfit headed by police officer-turned-outlaw, Champion R.Sangma, had earlier slapped extortion demands ranging from Rs.5 lakh to Rs.1 crore on government officials, ministers, legislators and businessmen.
Sangma has forged a close operational relationship with other northeast-based insurgent groups such as the United Liberation Front of Asom and National Democratic Front of Bodoland.
GNLA`s foot soldiers are deserters, mostly from the disbanded Achik National Volunteers Council and the Liberation of Achik Elite Force.
The Garo Hills region is being used as a safe haven for various northeast-based militant groups.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered