Colonel among three army men killed in chopper crash
Kohima: A colonel and two majors were
killed when an army helicopter on a routine sortie crashed
while flying over the mountainous terrain of Dzukou valley in
the Nagaland-Manipur border area today, officials said.
The deceased pilots were identified as Maj Nikhil
Prakash and Maj Rakesh Sharma while the passenger of the
Cheetah helicopter was Col P K Pal, Defence PRO R K Palta said.
The bodies were found by a rescue team comprising
village youths, police and army men from near the wreckage of
the helicopter lying in the mist-covered thick jungle of the
valley near Viswema village, about 25 km south of here.
The helicopter had left the army`s 3 Corps
headquarters Rangapahar near Dimapur at 8.25 am to Limakong
near Imphal on a routine sortie. But it lost ground contact
while flying over the mountainous terrain of Dzukou valley,
The chopper crashed around 8.45 am possibly due to
poor visibility caused by bad weather, officials said.
Palta said an inquiry into the incident was ordered.
The villagers of Viswema had heard the sound of crash
in the morning. Later in the afternoon they along with police
and army personnel spotted the site and retrieved three bodies
after scaling the mountainous terrains.
Policemen, accompanied by the villagers recovered the
bodies from the forest, Kohima SP Rothilhu Tetseo said.
Inclement weather prevailed in the area for the past
couple of days following incessant rains.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says