Combing operation being considered in Manipur district
Imphal: A massive combing operation will be launched in Manipur`s interior Tamenglong hill district following frequent clashes among various militant factions that resulted in the killing of civilians, official sources said on Wednesday.
Militant factions such as Zeliangrong United Front (ZUF), NSCN factions and other groups were operating in the district.
In the latest incident on June 21, two civilians and four militants were killed in an exchange of fire between ZUF and NSCN (K).
The sources said the authorities were considering to deploy the army, police and other forces during the combing operation, but a final decision was yet to be taken.
A high-level meeting presided over by Manipur Home Minister Gaikhangam yesterday reviewed the situation.
The meeting was attended by Director General of Police Y Joykumar, GOC 57 Mountain Division Maj Gen Binoy Poonen, home department officials and representatives from security agencies, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range