Combing operation being considered in Manipur district
Imphal: A massive combing operation will be launched in Manipur`s interior Tamenglong hill district following frequent clashes among various militant factions that resulted in the killing of civilians, official sources said on Wednesday.
Militant factions such as Zeliangrong United Front (ZUF), NSCN factions and other groups were operating in the district.
In the latest incident on June 21, two civilians and four militants were killed in an exchange of fire between ZUF and NSCN (K).
The sources said the authorities were considering to deploy the army, police and other forces during the combing operation, but a final decision was yet to be taken.
A high-level meeting presided over by Manipur Home Minister Gaikhangam yesterday reviewed the situation.
The meeting was attended by Director General of Police Y Joykumar, GOC 57 Mountain Division Maj Gen Binoy Poonen, home department officials and representatives from security agencies, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you