Committee formed to study Brahmaputra river
Guwahati: In the wake of reported diversion
of water and construction of dams in the upper reaches of
Brahmaputra river in China, Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi
has directed the chief secretary to constitute an expert
committee headed by a former Gauhati University professor.
The committee with Dulal Chandra Goswami as chairman
would examine water availability, hydro electric potential
scenario, flood and related issues such as erosion,
sedimentation load in the light of China`s reported move to
divert water from the river, official sources said.
The Goswami committee will comprise IIT-Guwahati
professors Anoop Kumar Gogoi and Arup Kumar Sarma, Dibrugarh
University professor Jogendra Nath Sarma and Assam Engineering
College professor Bipul Talukdar.
The committee, which would also have the water resources
department secretary as a member, would submit its report
within three months from the date of issue of notification,
the sources said.
The Chief Minister during his recent visit to Delhi had
taken up the matter with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and
Union Water Resources Minister P K Bansal following the
reported move by China to divert water from Brahmaputra, the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past